Sunday, June 19, 2011

Prune & Chocolate

Hi All

I spend the week counting down to the weekend with plans of spontaneity and excitement however it is here and I am too knackered to even pronounce those words let alone to fulfill them! However after dragging myself out of the house I found I wasn’t too knackered to give my purse a good workout at H&M! And to bake cake!

I had a look around in my cupboards too see what I have and decided to make a prune and chocolate torte.

You will see in the picture I have used spelt flour (I will explain why in a later post) however you can use plain wheat flour.

Ingredients

250g prunes, halved

4 tbsp brandy

25g cocoa powder

100g 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces

50g unsalted butter

100ml hot water

175g caster sugar

4 large egg whites

85g plan flour

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp icing sugar (optional)

Soak the prunes in the brandy for at least 30 minutes. Butter a lose bottom sandwich tin put to one side until needed. Pre heat oven at gas mark 5.

Put the cocoa powder, broken pieces of chocolate, and only 140g of the sugar in a pot. Pour over the hot water and heat gently, stir until everything has melted and is smooth. Leave to cool slightly.

Whisk the egg whites until they are soft peaks then add the remaining sugar. Sift the flour and cinnamon gradually over the egg whites; gently fold in with a metal spoon until slightly combined. Fold in the chocolate mixture evenly, do not over mix. Pour in the tin then arrange the prunes over it and sprinkle any of the remaining brandy.


Bake for 30 minutes until just firm. Leave to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes then knock it out of the tin and cut a huge slice and serve with sprinkle of icing sugar on top or big dollop of cream and a cup of tea.

It is Fathers Day today, I am sure this would go down a treat with your pops!



Bye for now!

PBx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...