Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Leon's banana bread


Hi all

On my way to the 9-5 in the mornings, I like to pop on my trainers so I can get off the tube a stop early then walk it into the office. I am sure you’re thinking, good for her trying to keep healthy and fit. This is just a side benefit as the only reason I am getting off early is for the shop Leon’s spelt and banana bread! Oh my gosh! I cannot explain how incredible this tastes; it is a sweet dense, smooth slice of bliss, which has telepathic powers, as it tells me to eat it before I reach the office! So when I saw Grazia magazine had printed the recipe I had to make this. In the orginal recipe it had pecan nuts, vegetable oil, and natural yoghurt. I had to change these due to what I had in my fridge and cupboards.


Ingredients

50g Walnuts
150ml Grapeseed oil
200g Dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
350g/5 ripe skinned bananas
75g Plain soya yoghurt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
225g wholemeal spelt flour
½ Banana peeled for the top
1-2 tbsp of caster sugar for the top

Preheat the oven at gas mark 3/150oc. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper and put to one side for later. Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper, s
pread the walnuts over the sheet and toast in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Leave to one side to cool.

Whisk together the oil, dark brown sugar, vanilla a
nd eggs in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mash the 350g/5 bananas roughly. Add the yoghurt and mix well. Sift the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon over the yoghurt mix then add the salt.


Add the banana and egg mixture together stirr
ing well. Add the flour (I didn’t sift the flour, as I wanted make sure I kept all of the wholemeal) Chop the walnuts in small pieces and add to the mixture.
Pour mixture in the prepared loaf tin. Slice the half of the banana length ways and lay over the cake. Sprinkle the caster sugar over the top of the cake, I only used one tablespoon as I thought this was enough for me, if you want to add all three tablespoon you can.


Bake in the over on for 45-50 (mine took a little bit longer) or until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool.

I found the bread tasted better the next day, alth
ough not exactly the same texture as the one I purchased from the shop. So although I will be making this banana bread more often, I still will be getting off a stop early.

Bye for now!

PBx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...